If you’re looking for Places To Travel With Kids Without a Passport you’ve come to the right place! This article is all you need if you want to take your kids on an epic vacation but you don’t want to (or can’t) get them a passport.
While I believe everyone should have a passport (you never know when someone will offer you a free international flight, right?!) sometimes it can be pretty tricky to get one.
And if you have kids, it can be pretty costly and take quite awhile to get.
Or if you’re like me…. a single mom who travels with her child, getting a passport without another parent can be VERY tricky and sometimes not even possible.
No need to worry! If you’re hoping to take an exciting vacation with your kids, you are not limited to the continental U.S. There are plenty of memorable places you can travel to!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Places To Travel With Kids Without a Passport
In no particular order, here are some great places to travel when you dont have a passport, that I promise you and your kids will love.
Explore Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico is a US territory and is easy to travel to. It’s located within the Caribbean around many other islands so there are always flights here. Many are non-stop from most of the US.
Puerto Rico is a fun tropical island filled with culture and history. You can do everything from having relaxing beach days on beautiful beaches to walking around the historic cobblestone streets and visiting museums or going shopping.
What To Do In Puerto Rico With Kids: Want to know what Puerto Rico has to offer? Try these activities your family will love!
- Puerto Rico Countryside Tour with Visit to Waterfall – Take an easy hike (good for any age) off the beaten path through the rainforest to an incredible waterfall and swimming hole.
- Crazy Sofa Puerto Rico Beach – If your family loves water sports, they will love this exciting activity of getting a ride around the ocean on a giant floatation device!
- Learn to Snorkel for Families with Children in San Juan, Puerto Rico – Learn how to snorkel with your kids in shallow water surrounded by tropical marine fish.
Visit The U.S. Virgin Islands in the Caribean
If you’re looking for a Bahamas-type experience but dont have the passport to get there… then the US Virgin Islands are the perfect getaway!
Explore rich Caribbean culture on this series of islands. Swim in the most crystal clear waters and play on soft white sandy beaches. The US Virgin Islands are the perfect tropical vacation for your family and you don’t need a passport to go there!
There are over 50 small islands that make up this area but the three main islands to check out are St. Thomas, St. Croix, and St. John. (You can easily travel between all three!).
What To Do In The US Virgin Islands With Kids: There is more than just lying on beaches to do on these beautiful islands! Check out some of these fun family activities:
- Half-Day Private Sail and Snorkel Trip to St John – What better way to experience the island than to get on a boat and sail around? Stop for snorkeling, have a snack, and even view some marine life on your trip.
- The Tropical Treasure Hunt – Explore both the beaches and a Pirate museum all while having fun as a family locating your very own treasure chest! Kids are kept highly entertained during this outing.
- Days End Sunset Sail from the Westin at Frenchman’s Reef – Perfect for couples and families. This is an easy and relaxing cruise to see the sunset and explore different views of St. Thomas.
See Beautiful Beaches in Guam
Guam is not typically on most people’s bucket lists when it comes to vacations. But if you’re looking to Travel With Kids Without a Passport, dont overlook this tropical island!
Guam is a small U.S. territory in the Pacific Ocean. Unlike most Caribbean Islands, Guam has a Filipino influence and is rich in culture you may not see in other places. This makes both the culture and the cuisine a one-of-a-kind place to travel without a passport.
Not to mention, it’s known for its gorgeous beaches and very calm waters, making sunbathing, swimming, and snorkeling abundant on this beautiful island.
You can also explore the nearby Northern Mariana Islands, also a US Territory located just north of Guam.
What To Do In Guam With Kids: Never thought Guam would be a fun place to take the family? Guess again!
- Valley of the Latte Jungle Riverboat Adventure Cruise – Uniquely see Guam! Cruise along the Talofofo and Ugum rivers through a rainforest and even see an ancient village. This half-day excursion offers lunch and is a perfect activity for families.
- Taotao Tasi the Beach Dinner Show in Guam – Similar to a Luau in Hawaii, this show is a must-see for your kids to experience some culture and great food! You’ll get an unlimited buffet with salads, beef, seafood, and desserts. And some amazing entertainment.
- Valley of the Latte Kayaking Adventure Tour with Lunch – Take an easy kayak ride through calm waters with an experienced tour guide. Look at everything from lush tropical plants to ancient villages before stopping for a BBQ lunch. Perfect for all ages!
The Islands of Hawaii
It seems like common sense that since Hawaii is a state in the US, you would not need a passport to visit here. But I see this question asked all the time because of its location and being an island. But it’s true! If you want to Travel With Kids Without a Passport, Hawaii is available!
Hawaii is a great option if you are craving sun, fun, adventure, and tropical vibes but can’t get that passport to go to the Caribbean or Mexico.
Hawaii has always been one of our favorite vacations and since there are several islands. you can go back again and again and always have a different experience. Maui and Kauai have been our favorites to Travel With Kids Without a Passport.
Maui and Kauai are the two smallest islands and have more nature and less big city feel like the main island.
There are too many activities there to even list but some include, snorkeling, ziplining, river tubing, surf lessons, hikes to waterfalls, kayaking, secret swimming holes in a rainforest, sea turtle watching, luaus… the list goes on and on.
See Related: 15 Unforgettable Things To Do In Kauai with Kids
Cruises (Caribbean, Mexican, Alaskan)
Our family loves cruises! Not only are they extremely affordable, but they are all-inclusive and have tons of entertainment on board.
But the really nice thing about cruises is… you can easily travel to several other countries without a passport!
As long as your cruise STARTS and ENDS in the US, you will not need a passport, no matter where your cruise ship docks.
For example, we sailed the Western Caribbean with Carnival Cruise Lines. Our ship sailed out of Miami, Florida. And since it started and ended up in Florida, we were able to sail to Honduras, Grand Cayman, Belize, and Mexico… all without a passport.
Similarly, we sailed the Mexican Riviera out of Long Beach, California, and visited Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas… all without a passport.
And YES, you can still get off the ship and explore these countries without your passport.
So if traveling without a passport is your only option, check out a cruise. You can go practically anywhere in the Caribbean or Mexico, even Canada.
Some places you can travel to while on a cruise WITHOUT a passport:
- Mexico (Cozumel, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerta Vallarta)
- Grand Cayman Islands
- St. Lucia
- St. Kitts
- And so many more! Basically any island in the Caribean!
Mexico or Canada By Car Without a Passport
If you happen to live in the northern United States or the Southwest, you can consider visiting either Mexico or Canada by car.
When you enter either of these countries via car (or bus or camper, etc) you do not need a passport. You will need other documentation such as a birth certificate and State ID (those under 18 only need a birth certificate.)
So if you happen to live close to either of these borders, consider driving. Mexico has a town called Rocky Point that is just a 3-hour drive from Phoenix. This beach town is lined with sandy beaches, beautiful resorts, and tons of restaurants.
You can also enter Mexico from San Diego and drive down the Baja coast, all the way to Cabo San Lucas if you want to! All without a passport.
Tips: How To Travel With Kids Without a Passport
While you may not need a passport to travel to these places, you will need some form of identification for them. And always remember… more is better!
While cruises only require a birth certificate for travelers under the age of 18, some countries might also require an ID with their photo on it. Check with your local state DMV to see if you can get a government-issued ID card for your child.
If they are teens, student IDs will sometimes work if it has their photos on them.
But always always always carry an original copy of their birth certificate anywhere they go. Some places do require an original document and not a copy.
As with anything else, check your destinations home travel page to see exactly what documents are needed when you want to Travel With Kids Without a Passport
More On: How To Travel With Kids Without a Passport
Maybe you’re a single parent like me and getting a passport for your child is next to impossible. Or maybe you just want to book a last-minute vacation and dont have time to wait for passports to arrive in the mail.
Whatever the reason, it is still very possible to take a glamorous vacation with your family to exciting places without a passport. I hope you found some great inspiration in this list of Travel With Kids Without a Passport places to Travel With Kids Without a Passport.
And if you’ve been to any of them, or know of any other places to add to the list, please leave it in the comments below, and happy traveling!
You Might Also Be Interested In:
- 23 Affordable Family Travel Destinations, Ideas, & Money-Saving Tips
- 19 Exciting Family Mountain Vacations
- The Best Family Outdoor Adventure Resorts